For more than ten years now, Ecuador has gained worldwide distribution of its flowers. Their strength comes from their roses which are grown mainly in the highlands of this country.
As of now, Ecuador is the second largest producer of flowers in the world, the first been Colombia.
Production and variety in Ecuador
- Ecuador grows roses, gerbera daisies, gypsophilas, aster, hypericum, carnations, among others.
- Gypsophila has turned Ecuador, in a short period of time, into the largest exporter of this kind of flower, with the largest amount of planted hectares. Limonium, liatris, aster and many other summer ¬owers are also greatly demanded. Carnations and pompons are also renowned.
- Tropical flowers, with over 100 species, are characterized by their varied shapes, colors, sizes and their long life after being cut. They don’t need refrigeration, which makes them strong and resistant against handling.
The main markets for Ecuadorian flowers are United States, Russia, Netherlands, Canada, Italy,
Ukraine and Spain.
- The biggest ¬ower production centers are located in places that reach 2000 meters over sea level. There, sunlight is more direct and the temperature is stable throughout the year.
- Currently there are more than 2500 hectares planted with ¬owers, which allows to have an availability for export throughout the year.